Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My toenail is falling off from pointe, what should i do and can i still dance en pointe?

My toenail was bruised, and is now almost all the way off. should i just wait for it to fall of and a new one to grow in? will i be able to dance en pointe without a big toenail? i'm not really sure what to do.





thanks for you guys's help!!!





dance on.My toenail is falling off from pointe, what should i do and can i still dance en pointe?
This is a reasonably common problem with newer dancers. I would suggest you first get some better shoes. That should help alleviate the problem in the future.





Without actually seeing the injury I wouldn't be able to tell you if you should dance on it until it heals, but whatever you do, do not remove it. Let it heal naturally. If you pull it off you could risk losing the nail completely. If you let it fall of it is much more likely to heal correctly. Your best bet is to consult a doctor as well as your dancing instructor.My toenail is falling off from pointe, what should i do and can i still dance en pointe?
When my big toenail bruised it took a long time to fall off, but eventually it did. During that time a new one was growing underneath it. You can still dance en pointe. It will probably hurt, but I don't think it's worth going completely off pointe for months while it finishes healing. Do what you can to reduce the pain. It will actually feel better once it falls off, but I wouldn't recommend pulling it off yourself. Ouch!





It will probably grow back looking kind of weird, which is fine. Eventually it'll look normal again, but talk to a doctor if it looks like it might become ingrown or something.





In the future if you go to a doctor directly after it bruises, they can help you by removing the blood from under the nail. Then it won't hurt or fall off.
Your pointe sheos are probably too small. My toenail also bruised and I now have different shoes that fit much more comfortably. I recommend you do not pull it off and stop dancing on pointe until it is healed. You can also visit the doctor to prescribe you medicine to reduce the risk of infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment