Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My dog ripped out a toenail what can I do for her?

when I let her in this morning her foot was bleeding a little and I noticed a toenail is missing. what should I do for her and what should I be concerned about?My dog ripped out a toenail what can I do for her?
You may want to take her to the vet to have it examined. The danger is infection. The vet may need to cut the nail back further into the quick to speed healing and to help make sure the nail will grow back normally. Some vets prefer to anesthetize the dog for the procedure, other more ';old school'; vets will cut it while the dog is awake. It's very painful but over quickly and will actually minimize the dog's discomfort because they don't have an exposed quick after the cut.My dog ripped out a toenail what can I do for her?
Call the vet first. One of my dogs did that a few weeks ago, I think from the snow that had turned to ice. It bled a lot, and you could tell she was favoring it. Vet said to keep checking for signs of infection, and if possible, neosporin, but only if she is sleeping and won't lick it all off. My dogdid fine after 2 or 3 days, but because of all the funk and germs they walk in, keep it clean and check it.
Just call your vet and see if they want to see her. For now just clean the paw off and if it is still bleeding then apply some pressure and get it to stop.
Hmm,a veterinarian comes to mind,wouldn't you think?? Suppose you ripped out your thumbnail,would you see a doctor???
Ouch, that's gotta hurt! If you don't have a vet to call maybe you can go to a site that I use and ask the expert. It's called Practical pet care, you'll need to log in to ask a question. Your doggie may need stiches?

No comments:

Post a Comment